Tuesday, March 07, 2006

the nerves

did you know that if you hold a scorpion in your hand it can't sting you? well excuse my language, but how the hell would i get one in my hand in order to protect myself from getting stung?

this is the question i was asking myself on saturday, as i was sitting in a room trying to keep my eyes open. the man speaking made that a bit easier when he passed out a sheet of health risks that we might face when in Africa. like i said, the weekend was fabulous, and while i was definately reminded how unworthy and unnecessary i am for the Lord's ministry, i was also blessed to see that he is still choosing to use and humble me. the weekend was not making me scared, it was just making me more realistic about how tiring and challenging living in Rwanda for three weeks could be. its just three weeks though right? well thats what i thought until a man who has lived in Africa before came and handed out that stupid sheet. the nerves started kicking in, and i realized that for basically the month of May i will be covered in deet and sunscreen at all times while wearing some attractive skirts and tennis shoes. okay, not so bad i guess, but let me also clue you in on a few of the possible aspects of the culture that could be more uncomfortable:

- the aids rate is very high in Rwanda. Avoid contact with all body fluids.

- hepatitis can infect from dry, cold blood.

- mosquito nets must stay tucked under your mattress at all locations, no holes!

- mosquitos can give you Dengue Fever.

- Jiggers live in the dust on the ground and on the floor.

- fly bites can leave you with a worm growing under your skin.

- crushing insects may leave you with nasty burns. (apparently second degree burns are possible due to the poison that is in the bugs)

- get in the habit of emptying your shoes before you slide your feet into them. (this is about the time that he started talking about scorpions, and about that same time poor Christie had to deal with my panic face and faster breathing)

- this one is a kicker... millipedes, centipedes and caterpillars often have toxic poison in their feet and hair, you can see where they walked on you and you will itch where touched... apparently they crawl into clothes etc and then, naturally, have to crawl on you to get out if you put the clothes on...

- learn how to take a bath in a bucket of hot water

- and just in case we didnt know, we must leave snakes and spiders alone.

this is not even the entire list folks! umm, excuse me, how are people in other countries still even living?
i just have to keep reminding myself (and mom please start doing this as well, as im sure you have the symptoms for panic face and heavy breathing as well right now)

these are possibilities but the probabilities are another issue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh we are going to be scared together Julie! That sheet woke me up too in the meeting haha. My mom already gave me at pointer though-- plastic bags for our shoes at night so the scorpions don't get in! See, we are practically already pros at this. :) We will get through it!

Natalie said...

Julie, I am sooooo excited for you! And speaking as a medical care provider (or soon to be, I can't even believe it myself!), all of those things are slim possiblities for you if you protect yourself (with Deet & nets, gloves for body fluids, shoes). You will have the time of your life, and God has your hand over the whole trip, He knows exactly what He is doing and you will be just fine. Wow, it will be amazing, I want to hear more details of what you'll be doing?!

Claire said...

Dude! These things are scary, but how cool knowing that you're going there with God- that he's using you, so he's gonna keep ya safe to do his work. I'm SO psyched for you!

Kimber said...

Scorpions are definitely my most feared insect.
But ditto to Claire, I am so excited for you to be ministering to others about our awesome and powerful God!

melissa o said...

I fo-so have my panic face on...

Holy geez. Good thing you have God right?