Sunday, May 21, 2006

"the point"

its been a week since i last posted but the time kind of seems to run together. That is partly because we do (and eat) pretty much the same things every day and because of the way life is here. people have said that "Americans have watches but Africans have time." People arent as rushed here; they are not as bound by strict time limits or schedules ( examples: church is 4 hours long and dinner is served when the people here finish preparing it). But the week has been good.
We went to a Pentecostql church last sunday and today. Ill have to devote a post to that later, but you might like to know that the 3 inch wide piece of wood that we sat on today was less slanted than last weeks; therefore it was slightly more comfortable.
As for the week, we continued to work at the house, doing lots of digging, cleaning, hoeing, and planting. on tuesday we basically finished the transformation of a vertical dirt wall into a set of stairs. it was really exciting to see all of us, white, black, child, teen and adult, walk up and down the steps a few times to break them in.
Then on Friday, we got to go to the opening of an art museum and to see the Kings Palace.We were really blessed to see a "ballet" which was basically traditional African dancing (soooo cool!), art, the palace (which is a neat grass hut), get food (including goat)... all for free!
As you can see, the trip, thus far, has been very amazing and rewarding, but there were also times this week where i kind of flirted with "the point." Its thqt place where my attention is not completely focused on the moment, on the task for the day. See, im not fully over my cold, sleep is usually interrupted by weird dreams or a creeky, uncomfortable bed, we take very cold showers, and my food usually tastes best when all mixed together. K, i sound really negative, but lets be honest, there are moments where those facts invade my thoughts. Thankfully, God, my team, and Rwanda are fabulous. So even though I have been at the point once or twice, I am still in Africa. I have no desire to fly home tomorrow, and I am learning and loving differently every day.
I do, hwever, want to tell Jenni and Robin that they are wonderful, i miss them, and I will be praying for them while they are in Turkey. I would like to tell anyone who will see me with in about two weeks of my return to the US that i have no great desire to eat spaghetti, white rice, plain potatoes, or cooked bananas. I will welcome a fresh salad, cereal, and ice cream, though.
keep leaving comments (cause they make me really excited, and Christie is beating me), check out her site (shes a good writer and has the school s link to the ISP update page), and if you think about it ever, call my phone and leave me a message ( i would love to hear your voices and blessings when i get back).
thank you for your prayers... I am so blessed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! This is fun to be the first one to post a comment. I check your site regularly and also enjoy being updated on what is going on. I loved all the things you wrote as "I wish" - - one made me laugh and the next made me cry. I am so sorry that your cold is still hanging on. Hope you are well for your last week in Africa. Can't wait to hear your voice again and get much more detail about the blessings and struggles of the trip. Praying always for you and your team. Love, hugs and kisses, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey baby. I cant wait to see you when you get back. P.F Changs on me(im a working woman now). Have an amazing week and I love you.
Lauren

melissa o said...

Oh GEEZ I love you!

I am glad to hear that "the point" is not taking over your trip. Sounds like you are getting some REALLY great cultural experiences...

Miss you and I am SOOO bringing you a box of cereal when you gets home.

Anonymous said...

Julie... I love you. I met Dan Cook today and he said to tell you hello. He came to my church and is an amazing man. I was so excited when he said he knew you and I was able to talk about you and brag about you. You are amazing. I pray that the Lord opens your eyes to so many new things and that He continues to mold your heart to be like His. I see Him in you and what a blessing and encouragement that you are. Be a blessing there in Rwanda and be the same when you come back to the States. The Lord is Worthy of all of us wherever we are at. He is so good. It's crazy. Thank you for praying for us as we go. I miss you and can't wait to be writing you updates as well. I need your email address. I love you Julie.

Claire said...

Hey lady! Sounds like in some ways getting to "the point" is really a great thing- because it then forces you to exmine the reasons your there, the things you're seeing and doing, etc. I'm so happY I get to hear all about it! I can't wait to see you so soon, but I'm sure it will be bittersweet coming home. I'm so excited that God is working in your life and that you're getting to enjoy the physical progress of the house as well! I'll take you out for a steak, salad and icecream when you get back- yeah? :) LOVE YOU!!! Still praying! AND... we pray for you every week at Bible study!!!

Anonymous said...

jules i miss you tons and cant wait until you get back...im glad things are for the most part good over there. you are in my prayers every night! I love you tons. muah!
Lauren...(roomie)