Wednesday, October 18, 2006

bella

bella is my beautiful, baby-blue beach cruiser. normally, my pets or cars have masculine names, but my friend Drew said there is nothing "boy" about my bike. i never blogged about her cause i wanted to do her justice and post a picture the first time i introduced her. i would say she has been a friend now for nearly four weeks, since we go everywhere together and i tend to talk to her sometimes when we ride. since i have given up on my computer situation this will be a pictureless post...

she has a white basket on the front, and if i keep stuff in the basket, and petal very carefully, i can even wear a skirt when i ride. now, you would think that having a bike would be super exciting for the first few days, and then it would lose its flare. however, that has not been the case... i still get excited in the morning when i turn the numbers to get her unlocked. my roomate hillary has a blue bike too (she was part of the inspiration to finally go through with the purchase) and we have a secret club. its secret because no one knows the name or the secret move. my favorite, though, is when i wear my hair down cause the wind blows through it. and more practically, she gets me places much more quickly than before, and i have even mastered riding in heels!

last night she and i raced my friend ethan to the gym. he was on foot and i was riding. if you dont know about beach-cruisers, they do not have gears and your upper body is in a very upright, stable postition. also they dont squeeze through parked cars as well as people. therefore, racing is still a challenge for you if youre on the bike. yes, those were disclaimers, because i technically lost by three seconds. but i didnt really care because i felt so much like a little kid, speeding across the parking lots, past the palm trees and over the grass. those surreal moments where you forget that you have homework and a job and dishes are fantastic and necessary. if you havent had one of those moments for a while, i highly recommend making friends with a beach-cruiser...

8 comments:

Sarah said...

that is so awesome! i want a bike! how fun!

Anonymous said...

i bought this awesome bike in ventura. mine is red. but i left it in my old apartment garage across from the temple and i always think about trying to go get it but i never do. i'm inspired to reclaim it.

Jan said...

I can't wait for the image to appear...when you're from the high desert a beach cruiser is well...what is it Jules?

melissa o said...

I can't wait to see this BIKE!

(You know, Matt asked me if it was a bike or a motorcycle...has he met you? Heh.)

Meredith said...

Thats awesome. I've tossed around the idea of buying a bike again, but I live out in the country and it's a little bit hard to ride on one roads that you have to share with farmers and livestock.
Anyway..... it's exciting that you have bike and I hope that you keep enjoying her for a long, long time. Have a great weekend.

Claire said...

Super awesome! If I thought I could ride around this city without getting killed, I would! I've wanted a bike since freshman year! I have bike envy... hehe. I'm so glad you have ol' Bella!

Ryan said...

flippin sweet! "shocks, pegs... lucky!" so, do you take it of any sweet jumps? sounds like a real winner. my dad actually has a bike kinda like that. but his doesn't have a basket. if it did, i wouldn't have told anyone. :)

Ryan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.