Monday, June 09, 2008

I love mangos. I hate delhi-belly.

We have been here a little less than a week, but it feels like way longer. I don’t mean that in a bad way; I think we just got settled pretty quickly and do so many things every day that I can’t believe it has only been 6 days. The team is doing so well. We have gone to markets, temples, coffee shops and an orphanage yesterday.

Naturally, I could write forever but I will just tell you about the temples. The first one was Hindu. Just as I had been warned, every one of my senses was over-stimulated. People were everywhere, bustling through the hot, humid, incense-filled air in the temple. We walked barefoot on the warm marble floor and watched as people desperately wrung bells to awaken their gods. They offered food and flowers to the idols and knelt or bowed in reverence. Ironic that the idols and people are clothed in bright colors and candles and flowers are scattered everywhere, but it was one of the darkest places I have ever been. The Sikh temple was crowded, loud, and had a certain aroma as well, but there is much less desperation and individual focus during their “worship.” I can’t really describe everything very well, and those experiences only account for about 3 hours of our trip. Just wanted to fill you in a little, though. Ty has been capturing the trip on his amazing camera. Check out his blog for more pics. www.tylerhoehne.blogspot.com.
test dump
test dump2

5 comments:

carsonbelmont said...

Love the picture, you look so Indian!

Anonymous said...

soooooo pretty! awww julie. i miss you so much. i walked to the james building today and was looking at your bike (Still there) and it made me wish you were on the 4th floor so i could come visit you.
carly

Anonymous said...

I love the kurtas and the demure little smile! I sent you an email today, so check your CBU one sometime soon. Sorry to read the title of Delhi belly - - hope no one is suffering too much. Tell Tyler to post more pictures!! Love you soooo much, Mom

AdamCook said...

top notch

Claire said...

Ah! I just saw that you've been updating and I'm very happy about it! I'm praying for you daily! I'm sure there is so much going on and it sounds like an amazing trip so far. I hope it continues well and that you will learn and grow even amidst jumbled belly and brain!